EduBlogr - Blogging in E-ducation

Of the millions of blogs out there, probably only a few thousand are specifically devoted to education. This is one of them.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Liveblogging the mergecast

I'm going to try my hand at liveblogging, using the EDUCAUSE broadcast of the Blackboard-WebCT press conference / "town hall" Q&A session. Someone on the BLKBRD-L list at ASU called this the "mergercast."

Here's the URL.
http://www.investorcalendar.com/IC/CEPage.asp?ID=96040

I've got my headphones and a fresh pot of coffee. T-40 minutes. Time to get a few things done before the fun begins. (Ironically, I'm working on a report for the college's Distance Learning Committee on the costs and benefits of upgrading to Bb Enterprise! Paging Ms. Morissette, Ms. Alanis Morissette)

T-minus-15: Sound check, refresh coffee, quick trip "down the hall."
T-5: What do I expect? Not much news, really. I expect a recap of how wonderful each CEO thinks the other is, their firm committment to their customer base and to continued product improvement, etc. etc. Corporate spin - seen it before, and I've got the hip waders on.

The real interesting stuff will be the Q&A session.

"Reporters only: Dial the following number to participate in the Q&A: 866-753-8247, conference code 3973210697. " I'm reporting, right?

Here we go - the mic is live... hey - there's thumbnail video, too! Background murmurmurmur, announcement asking folks to please take their seats and set pagers to vibrate. Rebuffering - must be several folks logging onto the data stream. I hope they've got enough outbound bandwidth.

Melissa Chautner Sr. VP of PR. Some questions we may not be able to answer.

Chasen: Bbs mission is to enable educational innovations everywhere. uniting will help meet mission. Two eliearnig pioneers.
Many common traits - both background in academia. Both focused on cuttiong edge products - Bb's list is longer. Communitis of practice . Proud and Excited. Meeting with several clients in town hall and 1-on-1.

Carol Valone: Marks an achievement in e-learning history. Enable collaboration across the globe at a critial time in elearning - worlds largest communty of practice - further innovation. Since 1997. greatest innovations yet to come...

Interuptted by a call. They took a few questions, it seems. but said nothing really.

Chasen - new system will be developed over time - over short term will continue to compete until merger closes in early 2006

Valone - we'll be having town hall sessions with clients and look forward to meeting with you.


That's it. Even less than I expected!

Update: Laura Little is similarly nonplussed.

2 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Thanks a million, Corrie. It's pretty much what I had expected, too. And they did NOT have nearly enough outbound bandwidth. I was able to hear about 4 complete thoughts, let alone sentences. I hope this doesn't bode poorly!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger phe said...

I made it to the session on 19 October and posted my notes. It wasn't too bad of a conversation. We're a long-time Bb shop, so this was one of my first experiences with the executives at WebCT - so far I'm impressed.

If the merger goes through, it's going to have a lot of potential. I hope that the 2 teams can live up to it.

http://phework.blogspot.com/2005/10/educause-05-bbwebct-merger-qa.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home